Sunday, October 2, 2011

Small Batch Canning





If you have a glass top stove and can't use a large water bath canner on your stove, you can always work in small batches canning 5 pint jars or 4-5 quart jars in a large stock pot. The jars need to be lifted off the bottom of the pot. You can purchase a small canner tray from Amazon or tie a few canning lids together and place them at the bottom of the pot to keep the jars lifted off the bottom.

This is also a great method if you don't own a large water bath canner. I have used this method for processing small batches of tomato sauce and it works great.

To work around not being able to use my large water bath canner on my glass top stove, I set up my camp chef outside on our deck and process the jars outside. This frees up space on my stove for blanching, boiling water and simmering lids. It also keeps the majority of the heat outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment